Rated 4 out of 5 by Schooling4Him Love this homeschool resource.
We are really enjoying the online instruction and materials. The teaching and material are excellent. While my 7th grader is completing the full curriculum, my 4th grader is joining in listening and discussing the reading and video presentation. All 3 of us read the material, watch the videos and discuss it together. The instructor is engaging enough for my 4th grader, explaining concepts thoroughly and visually. Thank you for making science so engaging and interesting and valuable!! The only 2 struggles that we have are: price is steep for our budget, we are struggling to get through the material - just too many wonderful videos.
October 24, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by KEMC Excellent curriculum but...
My 7th grade daughter has been using BJU for about two weeks. She is doing Pre-Algebra and U.S. History. Both are considered 8th grade. Everything else is 7th grade. I am very impressed with the level of instruction. My daughter is learning how to take notes and take a test. That's something I find very valuable since she plans on attending college one day. For the most part, the teachers are very engaging, and the lectures are interesting. The online format is pretty easy to follow. BJU seems to have mastered the art of technology/virtual classroom. Occasionally, there will be an assignment that the location of is not immediately clear, but I think we will experience less of that as time goes on. One negative to this program is the amount of time it takes to complete a day's work. There is no way we will be able to get through all the material this school year. BJU gives you a year and a half of online access. As much as I will dislike leaving things undone before we break for summer 2015, I can not think of a better solution. We will stop at the end of May, and we will resume where we left off in August. I wish that the videos weren't quite so long. It's also really difficult to skip ahead (such as skipping the introduction). For now, I am not making my daughter do some of the student activities. If I find she is not retaining the information then I will have to re-evaluate. My theory this year is "slow and steady wins the race." I pray that's good enough.
September 4, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Alys9 We are very happy with the online school!
We started using the Bob Jones online school in 6th grade and it was a pretty big adjustment. However the teachers and material and overall presentation was such that our daughter was inspired and rose to the challenge. I have to admit she also enjoyed the puppet shows and the humerous little stories along with the lessons! I think Bob Jones have done an excellent job!
October 8, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by 7yearsathome just starting out
Well, i might have a different review once we get further into this course, but for now we are 8 days into our school year and only 5 days into the course. We are only 5 days into the course because the amount of work scheduled each day is more than my daughter can handle. This might change as she gets more accustomed to the format and we brainstorm ways to streamline her movement through the course, but for now we are finding it to be a very heavy load that takes an enormous amount of time out of her day.
September 1, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Mom23bears Great Resource to keep us on track
As a parent I love it. The teacher is great. The content is great, not too young for my 7th grader. It helps us keep pace. I watch most videos with my son so I am current with the concepts and can better facilitate the lessons. However, my son can work independently and still move smoothly through the lessons. Its like having a private tutor assisting me.
March 17, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Jill Seventh Grade
I love BJU curriculum. It is so well integrated with God's Word, each subject gets interwoven with other disciplines, prior knowledge is reviewed and then new material is introduced, and it's through.
December 8, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by Judy My son was insulted by the use of puppets in 7th grade
My children love the science curriculum. This year my youngest had a lot of additional questions regarding cells. For a while I googled looking for the answers and then decided to buy the online classroom teacher. (We started in Chapter 6.) As soon as he saw the puppets he shut down on me with, "Seriously, Mom - Puppets in 7th grade!"
My children always thought the use of puppets was distracting and babyish so we didn't use the dvds in elementary. I was surprised to see them in junior high. Thankfully you offer a full refund. We still use the books and google. #smile#
January 13, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Renee Allows you to Jump right into homeschooling
I am brand new to home schooling. So when we decided to homeschool our son, I really had no idea which curriculum to choose. Thankfully, a dear sister in the church recommended BJU as she used it to homeschool her 2 daughters through high school.
The sign up was easy and we were quickly on our way to the start of a new school year. The only things
Some improvements I would prefer:
- the videos could be updated to reflect the use of online only content. The videos still reference the teachers resource dvd which is unnecessary for the online because all of the dvd content is there online in the parent's login and however, the online content is not the easiest to weed through and find actually what they are talking about. Some things have pdf right into the daily lesson so that makes it easier.
- there should be a separate online parent's checklist for grading work. The students list of work is beautifully organized and the student checks off what they have accomplished. However, the parent would have a much easier time if there was a separate 'to do' that matched the parent's responsibility list in the Schedule of Lessons. I am often searching through the work seeing what I need to grade next & where is the answer key
- there should also be a weekly review #overview# for the parents so that we can quickly see if the child will need any printouts for the week or labs; Basically, if you are very involved in their daily curriculum, you should be able to follow along closely and know what they are doing; however, if you are just overseeing, helping with questions here and there, grading homework, you can easily fall behind and figuring out what is up grading and where it is can be time consuming
- they reference an online grade book which is coming soon..it could not come soon enough! Only the online test are graded. Even though the quizzes are online, you still have to enter the grades onto a manual record of grades sheet.
The clear benefits are:
- tests & quizzes are online. No need to print out or facilitate them,
- there are daily videos in each lesson, sometimes more than one & my son seems to enjoy the teachers,
- the books are very nice; some classes have a book and a workbook.
- customer service has been great. They are always pretty much immediately available to walk you through any question. There was a page in the teacher's manual which did not have the answer to 3 questions. I was able to get someone immediately who found the issue and was able to get the answers quickly for those. I am really happy with the customer service. They are very nice people who are helpful which has made my life easier.
-it's all a biblically sound curriculum
Overall, it's a great program with great structure which I believe is constantly being improved. I would recommend this to others seeking homeschooling. I do not have any comparison to make only to say that it is working for us and we are grateful for being led to it.
September 23, 2013