Rated 4 out of 5 by MDBCHRIS Love BJU for many reasons
We are very pleased with the ease of the program. Therefore, we will start with the positives.
1. Once you figure it all out it is very easy and well designed for parents and the child. This program is designed for parents to be heavily involved which I love and would hope for but a child can work through it on his/her own as well.
2. My child loves the instruction and the videos and having the books on hand. He thinks his instructors are fun.
3. His instructors respond very quickly to him with any questions and that is a super big plus!
4. LOVE the forum ability so he can communicate with other students. Being an only child this allows him communication with his peers which he needs.
5. We enjoy how the science is laid out and how they explain the differences in studying science and evolution vs. creationism.
6. Love the additional information and links that are provided. The program is really there to help the student to grow, think and learn in order to continue to advance.
7. Like that on tests we are able to change the grades according to right and wrong answers. FYI: Some of the questions on the test pick up key words and if they are not there or explained in a fashion the system picks it up it may mark it as wrong when indeed the child was correct. Those can be changed by the parent to mark as correct. It' s just nice to know it's there if needed.
On the CON side:
1.The bible studies are very basic and personally I tire of every one only teaching the basics of the bible. There is no real study in the bible anymore. The bible is a big book and I'd bet to say that 90% of it isn't even studied. Which in my opinion is why the atheists and the muslims and other groups know our bible better than we do and are able to use it against us. IF we understood our bible and lived up to it instead of claiming we are sick and the church is for the sick then we wouldn't be in this shape. No where does it say the church is a place for the sick, the bible clearly sates the church is to be a place of worship and prayer. Jesus turned tables over for selling items in the church and yet look at many of the churches in their foyers they sell items. So there is really no real instruction or study in the bible anymore.
Today's teachings are based on the watering down of the church in 1850 by a small baptist church, just one not all baptist churches. Then they eventually became the atheist groups of today. They talked themselves right out of the word of God.. To bad no one teaches these things! I would like to see a study on the Law which there are some out there but sadly 90% of the churches refuse to acknowledge them. Remember the truth will set you free!
2. The lessons are very long and I would think many children like my own struggle to keep up with the days lessons. We are way behind because it is a lot of work and if we completed one full day it will take us 10 hours to get through it. That is to much for any one child.
3. I would also love to see the grades for his homework and quizzes on the grading scale. BJU only permits test scores and maybe one or two end of the chapter lessons. Not all students test well and the other grades should be accounted as well for a full and complete view and understanding of the child's abilities.
Overall we are very happy with BJU and we do plan on using them to complete high school I just hope we can finish in time to allow a summer break!
October 27, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Cynda Algebra I Online is Just Right
We are in our 3rd month of using BJU Press Algebra I online. Mr. Harmon does a great job explaining the concepts, and the assignments are just the right length. The online grading works well and has been very helpful.
October 7, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by Wanda I would not purchase this product again.
I have Verizon internet (4G), the video takes forever to up load and some subjects will not even play. I bought this to free up some of my time and this has caused me have to sit and sit and sit in front of the computer waiting for the video to play, if it ever plays at all. I have gone back to teaching my daughter myself. This was a waste of money.
February 9, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Peggy Great value coarse
Coarse is easy to use and gives a solid overview of the subject.
The ONE thing that would improve everything is to have point values calculated on the test answer keys. (Each test being 100 pts.)
February 7, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 My child has bad ADHD. The books are a little challenging
The books are very detailed and geared toward children that learn easily. We are behind because I have to go at his speed. He is doing better than I thought because we pause and replay the videos. The teachers are all interesting and that helps. All have their own teaching style - not monotone or boring. The tests are appropriate for what has been emphasized - no trick or confusing questions so far. I highly recommend this program. By the way, I had a lot of questions going in. This is all new to us but our only option. They were always very helpful and never rude or uncaring.
September 5, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Crosstitcher2 We have never been disappointed with this curriculum.
Our son has been using BJUPress curriculum since K4 and we are beginning High School this year. We love the teachers and the subjects are very well written for the grade level. Each year when we do our testing we are amazed at the achievement that our Son is making using this curriculum. We chose this curriculum because we wanted to make sure that our Son was getting the best education for the money.
June 11, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by StephC Helpful product!
Through the special offer, I was able to purchase the online video. Although I prefer to teach my son, it has been helpful to have the video as a reference. The lectures have proved to be a valuable tool to our class time. Thank you.
March 7, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by szierler English 9th grade
The site could be made user friendlier it it so to load and you can not always find the item you are looking for too many folders and they are not all labeled.
February 12, 2013