Technical FAQs - Distance Learning Online
What are the computer requirements for Distance Learning Online?
- Processor: Pentium class, 1 GHz processor or the equivalent
- Operating System: Distance Learning Online works on Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP service pack 2, Windows Vista, or Mac OSX 10.4 or later, iOS (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch), or Android OS (Kindle Fire, Barnes & Noble Nook tablet, Motorola Droid).
- Memory: Minimum of 512MB RAM (or more as required by the operating system*)
- 20% free hard drive space
- Google Chrome Version 13.0 or later, Internet Explorer Version 7.0 or later, or Firefox Version 3.0 or later versions. Other browsers may be used but may not support all functionality
- Adobe Flash Version 9 or later
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 7 or later
- High-speed internet connection: LAN, Cable or DSL Modem
- An active email account
*Note: Windows Vista and Windows 7 users will need a minimum of 1 Gigabyte of RAM to run Windows Vista or Windows 7, but 2 Gigabytes is recommended for optimum efficiency.
How can I tell if my connection speed is fast enough for Distance Learning Online?
You can click the "Speed Test" link below to check your connection speed. In addition, you will want to consult with your network provider to determine whether any daily or monthly download limitations have been established. Each lesson will be approximately 335 megabytes (MB). Multiply that by your number of students and the number of online course lessons they will be viewing each day/month to determine your potential download capacity.
SpeedTest.net—Test the bandwidth of your internet connection.
I have several children who will be using Distance Learning Online simultaneously. How fast does my connection speed need to be?
See the chart below.
|Suggested Internet Speed Based on Number of Students|
Will I be able to rewind, stop, or pause lessons?
Yes, you will be able to rewind, stop, or pause a lesson. You will also be able to adjust the video volume and switch to full-screen view.
What do I do if I lose my username or password?
On your BJU Press Distance Learning Online login page you will see a link that says "Forgot Your Username or Password?" Click on the link, enter your e-mail address and user name, and click "Submit." You will receive an email with an updated password for that user, which can be changed to a password that you choose once you log in.
Can I use DLO on my iPad?
Yes, you may stream the video on to the iPad.
What do I need to get DLO to work on my iPad?
Open the web browser on your iPad, go to bjupressonline.com, log in to your BJU Press Online account, and click on "Full Version" near the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
What kind of internet do I need to stream the videos on to the iPad?
You will need a broadband-internet service.
Do you recommend using satellite internet to access Distance Learning Online?
No, you will most likely find that satellite internet lacks the reliability you need to stream your course videos.
Can I save the videos to my computer or iPad?
Distance Learning Online is a video-streaming service. Videos can be accessed via the web at any time from a computer or iOS device.
Can I use DLO on my Kindle Fire or other Android Device?
Yes, as long as flash is installed, DLO is compatible with the Kindle Fire and other devices that use an Android operating system. If you have trouble connecting with the Kindle Fire, you may need to download the SkyFire browser.