Skip to main content

FAST, FREE SHIPPING  on everything all the time.  See details »

The Academy of Home Education
Homeschool students throwing caps at graduation

AHE Dual-Credit Classes

Academy of Home Education students may take residential (traditional classroom setting) or online Bob Jones University courses and have them count toward high school graduation requirements and as college credits—for a maximum of 36 college credits.

During each regular semester, juniors and seniors may take two dual-credit classes. Students may choose to take additional BJU courses during the summer for dual credit.

Saving money

Additional BJU courses may be taken online during the summer, up to the 36-credit limit. Approved AHE students may use Cash for College for online BJU courses.

Student who complete 36 credits in high school will have earned well over one semester of college credits before beginning their freshman year.

Textbooks are required for most college classes, and students pay separately for textbooks.

Calculating grade-point average

Students receive 1.0 high school credit for 3-credit or 4-credit college courses and 0.50 credit at the high school level for 1-credit or 2-credit college courses.

Students who are residents of South Carolina will receive dual-credit quality points for their SC UGP grade-point average that is used for the LIFE Scholarship. The dual-credit quality point is one full point higher than for a regular high school course.

Transferring credits

Acceptance of credits is always at the discretion of the receiving institution, so neither the Academy of Home Education nor BJU can guarantee that credits will transfer. Students should check with the colleges they are considering about whether a particular course will transfer.

Qualifying to take dual-credit classes

A student must

  • have completed the sophomore year and earned a total of at least 12 credits
  • have maintained a consistent, on-time, and accurate record of form submissions in the AHE program (Course Registration Form (CRF)/Elective Reporting Form (ERF)/Grade Reporting Form (GRF)/Re-Enrollment Form/Testing Order Form (TOF))
  • have an account that is financially up-to-date
  • have maintained a B average in ninth and tenth grades, and this average must continue in each online course
  • be prepared to take placement tests which may be required
  • have achieved and maintained a minimum 70th percentile ranking or the equivalent thereof in the Stanford or Iowa® achievement test or the PLAN, PSAT, SAT, or ACT examination. Specific attention will be given to those subject areas that correspond to the online course for which application is being made.

A student must maintain final grades of B and above in all dual-credit classes in order to continue in the dual-credit program; exceptions may be made by the guidance counselor.

Choosing courses

Students may substitute dual-credit courses in place of several core classes on the high school level. Students also may complete elective requirements with dual-credit classes. It is the student's responsibility to investigate each course in order to ensure that he has taken any required classes necessary for enrollment into that particular study.) Also, some courses will not apply toward a BJU major or minor. Please consult BJU regarding the application of the college credits.

Contact guidance counselor first

Students desiring dual credit for a BJU course should contact the guidance counselor to request permission for dual credit before applying to take a course in order to be awarded dual credit for the class.

Taking college classes without earning dual credit

Some students may not want dual credit for a class but still want to take a college course during their senior year. It has been AHE's policy to allow such enrollment as long as the college course in no way interferes with the student's progress toward meeting graduation requirements. These college credits do not appear on AHE's official transcript records.